Jeffrey E. Marshall

How can we help you?

  • I need help with a divorce
  • I'm looking for information
  • I'm considering hiring a lawyer
Call now for a consultation
${}${SEMFirmNameAlt} Main Menu

What are the non-custodial parent's rights to school information?

If you have school-aged children, you likely want to stay involved in your children's education even if you are not the custodial parent. The school is not responsible for managing your custody issues, but it must follow the custody order from the court and any applicable laws.According to the National Center for Education Statistics, if you are the non-custodial parent, you have specific rights when it comes to the school unless specified otherwise in custody orders.

You are granted the right to have access to your children's school records under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. This act, though, does not grant you the right to get other information, such as notices about special events, school calendars or lunch menus. These things are usually sent to the custodial parent's home. In addition, you do not have the right to be informed of parent conferences.

The school is not required to notify you of your rights or to provide you with any information beyond what is required by the FERPA. Furthermore, if there is a court order maintaining you cannot have access to your child's school records, then the school will deny you access. Other rights granted to you under FERPA include the right to have a record amended and the right to refuse record release to a third-party. Your spouse cannot deny you access and you cannot deny him or her access to the records except through a court order. This information is only intended to educate and should not be interpreted as legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information